Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Got Cheap Wine?




The inspiration for this cake came from a wine and chocolate tasting at the Biltmore winery.

Recently I was at a friends house, and she served me a glass of wine.  It was quite good and the label read Redwood Creek, or so I thought.  Not much later I saw it at Sams Club for $4.50/bottle, so I did what any thrifty gal would do; I stocked up.  I bought 5 bottles.

Later when we opened our first of the 5, we realized it wasn't what we thought.  I was Yuk!!!  I didn't want to throw it all out, but I didn't want to drink it either.

Here's what I came up with:

Bake your favorite dark chocolate cake mix according to package directions accept substitute red wine for the water.  I also prefer egg whites instead of whole eggs, and I decrease the oil a bit and increase the red wine.  Bake as directed.

I found this belgian chocolate sauce with cabernet sauvignon at Pier One, and thought it would be perfect for my cake!
If you don't have something like this just melt some chocolate chips, and add a dash of milk and more than a dash of red wine.  It will be delish!!!



You should drizzle melted chocolate or chocolate sauce over the top before serving.  Add whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.

Another thought, frost the cake with nutella; this will also taste amazing!

2 comments:

  1. That's a great idea. I love white zin and pinot gris but that's the only wines I can drink. Others just give me a headache.

    The chocolate recipe sounds delicious. I imagine the wine gives it a very expensive flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red wine ands chocolate are a great pair. We went to this wine and chocolate tasting at the Biltmore about 5 years ago. I never would have thought I would like them together, but they really taste amazingly paired. I plan to make this for one of my desserts on Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete