Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Facelift for my Family Room


I've been wanting to somehow update the look of my family room without spending much money.  The different tones of the wood furniture just gave it a washed out blah type of look.


I decided to paint 3 pieces of wood furniture black to match the table and chair set I have in my breakfast area.

This table I got from a friend's garage sale for $5.00.  The top was a mess, full of stickers and such, but I liked the shape of it.  As you see I covered it with tiles, but it still looks kinda sad.


This aquariums been through alot!  I bought it used, and it's been through a couple of moves.




This table was probably in the worse shape of anything I owned.  It's been around for close to 15 years, and through 8-10 moves!  Yes, I've moved more than that (it wares me out just thinking about it.)  It's been stained, had a broken leg, and scratched numerous times by my house full of boys.

It's truly amazing what a little sandpaper and a can of spray paint can do!






Not such a great pic of the aquarium, but it looks sooo much better!

This project was super easy considering the result.  I spent about $18.00 total, and am in love with my family room.  I'd say it was worth it; wouldn't you?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Vanessa,
    Fabulous job! I like the pieces much better with the black paint and it adds warmth and sophistication to the room. You've inspired me. I have a few pieces that could stand a facelift, and black will be the color of choice. =)

    My husband’s hobby is saltwater aquariums, we have two! I was adamant about having the base in black on both aquariums, so yours looks great!

    Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays to you and your family! ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazing what black spray paint can do! The furniture looks so great. Don't you just love it when you have successful decorating adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa~ I'm strolling in to catch up and especially to wish you and your loved ones a Happy Thanksgiving!
    It's such a wonderful time to stop and reflect on all those we cherish and are truly grateful for.
    Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to visit and leave feeling inspired!

    Even though our Thanksgiving is very small in number, with hubby and son (we don't count the cat cause she doesn't like turkey). We don't scrimp on the menu...from appetizers to desserts with several carb loaded dishes in between! We will be enjoying tryptophan playoffs too!

    Sweet Holiday wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've left you an award on my blog! Come see :)

    http://shelleysswag.blogspot.com/2009/11/blog-award.html

    Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll add you to the line-up, Vanessa; thanks! I'm so glad I came over from the comment you left on my blog ~ I think I have the same exact coffee table and I'm going to be painting mine black, too! I'm refreshing my living room using some black and white and the table is presently a pine with a light white-wash. You've basically showed me what it is going to look like black and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Kathy, glad I could help!

    ReplyDelete