Sunday, October 18, 2009

What's for lunch?





What's for lunch? A question I seem to be asking myself everyday around noon or so. Usually it's leftovers, or maybe a sandwich, but now and then I come up with a creative way to use what I have on hand. This time it turned out amazing!


I had a half used box of chicken stock, all kinds of diced peppers, and baked potatoes from dinner the night before. I decided to whip up a spicy, creamy soup that turned out to be delicious and super nutritious. It was just what the doctor ordered for a crisp fall day.



I used
1/4 cup diced onions
1/4 cup diced green peppers
1/2 cup diced, mixed yellow, orange and red peppers
1/4 cup diced jalapenos
handful or two fresh spinach
a few carrot sticks broken up
2 small chopped baked potatoes with skins
2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cup milk
cumin, garlic, and salt to taste


Saute the onions, carrots, and peppers using olive oil for about 5 min, then add the chicken stock, potatoes, and seasoning. Heat until boiling. Add milk, heat through and serve. This made 3 big bowls; hubby loved it btw!


The point of this isn't to suggest you run out, buy all these ingredients, and try to make this yourself, although if you want to, knock yourself out ;) . It's to show you how easy it is to make a fabulous meal with what you have on hand. I'd love to hear what creations you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment