Monday, October 19, 2009

Time to Bake!

amish baked oatmeal

When the weather turns cold, there's nothing I love more than baking (OK maybe shopping).   I love the way home baked goods warm up the house, and bring my boys, including the big one,  running to the kitchen.



Today I felt like baking up a storm.  I made peanut butter and jelly cookies, and amish baked oatmeal.  For the peanut butter and jelly cookies I suggest using your favorite PB cookie recipe, and instead of pressing them flat with fork tins roll them in balls, and make a thumb print in the center.  Fill the hole with about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of preserves, all fruit, or whatever jam you prefer.  Then bake them as directed by your recipe.  Be careful not to overfill the cavity, or the preserves will ooze out during cooking.   Notice a few of mine that I overfilled.

As for the amish oatmeal this is a great, nutritious, breakfast.  I reduced the butter and added about a half cup of applesauce.  I also reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup.   It's always good to sneak in an extra serving of fruit or veggies when you can.

I always try to use the highest quality ingredients I can.  For both the cookies and oatmeal I used whole grain flour, omega three enriched eggs, organic peanut butter, real butter, and whole grain oats, real vanilla, etc.


I often double recipes, and freeze half of things like cookies, muffins, pancakes, waffles, etc.

Notice the pic of the preserves.  They're packed with all kinds of fruit and very little sugar.  I got these at Costco, which incidentally is where I get a lot of my all natural and organic foods at a substantial savings.
Check it out as well as these recipes, and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment