Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What to do with a Block of Cheese





Today I'm going to show you one of the many ways I save money.  I have to admit I love cheese; I eat way more than I should, and have no plans of slowing down anytime soon.  But all that cheese can add up!  On your wallet, and unfortunately your hips (darn!).


I buy cheese at a wholesale club like Sams or Costco.  It costs me $4.75 for a 2 pound block.  To make the most of it, I take the block, and cut it into threes as shown.  Then I finely shred one third, coarsely shred the 2nd third, and slice and cube the last third.  Notice I put some of the slices in small baggies.  That way their ready for my boys school lunches.  They get so sick of sandwiches everyday, so I try to mix it up and give them cheese and turkey with crackers some days.  Having these bags prepackaged makes packing lunches much quicker.  I also like to have cheese cubes in the fridge for snacks.  We use the shredded on just about everything, and it makes dinner prep so much quicker.


I also think it taste better to have freshly shredded, sliced, and cubed cheese versus the prepackaged store variety.


P.S.  I love these containers I got at Ikea; they shred and store the cheese, and only cost $4.99

I Love Ikea!!!

I would probably spend between $12-$15 on the equal amount of cheese at the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment